Steps to Archive Lotus Notes Emails and Documents Locally
IBM Lotus Notes is a type of email application that offers task scheduling, emailing, calendaring along with much more features. The Lotus Notes mailbox is linked to the storage file known as NSF File, where all the mailbox items get stored. Lotus notes archive mail locally process is required because as the time passes, the size of NSF increases to the extent that it began to affect the performance of Lotus Notes. To resolve such type of issues a user wants to know the process to archive Lotus Notes emails to local disk. By doing this, the users can manage the storage and time very efficiently. To achieve that a user can refer this post and figure out the issues related to the problem.
Lotus Notes Archive Mail Locally – Find Out Its Advantages
There are many types of features associated with IBM Lotus Notes, but one of the noticeable features is the archiving process. Archiving process enables the system admins and users to save the documents and other emails in a particular database file and then delete those files from the main database. This entire process to archive Lotus Notes emails to local disk helps in the reduction of the size of the database. The Lotus Notes would not be stored on the server hence, it is advised to save the data in an external storage device so that the users can restore the data in case of some data loss situation.
The benefits to archive Lotus Notes emails are mentioned below:
- Archive Lotus Notes emails to hard drive for backup of the emails.
- Improvement in the overall system performance due to the reduction in the database size.
- Due to this process, the database storage space becomes free which decreases the probability of hitting the maximum set limits of the Lotus Notes.
Manual Steps for Lotus Notes Archive Mail Locally
- Run the IBM Notes 9.
- Open the Mail Database and select the Actions tab. Now, select the Archive option and click on the Create Criteria option.
- The Create Archive Criteria widow will pop up. In the next step to archive Lotus Notes to hard drive, you are required to fill in the details like Selection Criteria, Name of Criteria, select Archive NSF File and the option for Archived documents removal or reduce the size of documents.
- For Selection Criteria, select the documents that you would like to archive.
- After entering the archive criteria details click on the OK button.
- A window would pop up now, that would ask the user to set the schedule time and day for archiving.
- Select the Yes button if you want to set the schedule and No to select the documents and emails that you want to archive.
- In the Criteria tab, select the Archive1 folder and to close the settings click on OK button so as to backup Lotus Notes emails.
- Finally, open the emails and select the desired emails that you want to archive. To do that go to Actions>>Archive>>Archive Selected Documents.
- Now the destination where the archived email would be stored would be selected. In this case, the Archive1 which was earlier created is selected. Click on OK to finally save the emails.
The users can also find out the steps to Export Lotus Notes Emails to Outlook PST in simple steps.
Easy Method for Lotus Notes Archive Mail Locally
To save IBM Notes emails to the local system there are two methods. One method which is described above provides the option to save emails locally and then deleting them for the database file. There is also a second option available which is much easier to archive Lotus Notes to hard drive and provides convenience to the user. Using an automated software like SysTools Mail Migration Wizard can help the users to migrate Lotus Notes Mailbox to Exchange, Outlook and Office 365. Hence the option to transfer the emails to the three major Microsoft email application is provided by this software.
The important aspects of the IBM Lotus Notes have been described here. But if the user wants the option for Lotus Notes archive mail locally, the manual or the automated procedures can be adopted as described in the above-mentioned sections. It is recommended to use an automated software if you want to reduce the size of the main database so that it would not hit the maximum size limit. Also to transfer the emails and documents to another email application like the Office 365, Outlook and Microsoft Exchange the automated solution is preferred.